Sunday, January 31, 2010

Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane


Although this is the first book by Lehane I've read (a co-worker claims it's his best), it's clear he has a knack for mind twisters that translate to the big screen (i.e. Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, and now Shutter Island). This novel pulled me in right from the start with its vivid descriptions of the mental patients and their afflicitions that occupy the hospital on Shutter Island. Lehane is a talented writer and he makes Teddy a very likeable protagonist, so much so that I kept reading to make sure he escaped the island. The plot twist is done very well, and the ending is such that I still need to think about what happened and how Lehane was able to pull that off. That's a mark of a truly great novel, one that leaves you thinking long after you've finished reading. I'm eager to see the movie to see how what Martin Scorcese was able to do with the story.

No comments: