Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Push

Push by Sapphire



Well, I was prepared to hate this book because the voice of the near illiterate 16-year-old Precious Jones is so hard to deal with. However, I found myself zipping through the final pages (and it didn't take too long since the book is less than 150 pages in length) as Precious became stronger and more educated and therefore someone I wanted to root for and ensure that she comes out ahead in the end. As most people probably know by now, since the huge movie hit Precious has been making headlines lately, Push is the story of a teenage girl living in Harlem who births two children by her father and deals with a very abusive mother. When she starts at alternative school, Precious meets a dedicated teacher who helps liberate her by giving her education and compassion. Besides the poor grammar (because it was written in Precious' voice), most of this was hard to read because of the sad content. I have a feeling the movie is probably even more difficult to watch--I can't imagine most of the scenes playing out on the big screen. It's just horrific.

No comments: