Tuesday, September 29, 2009

True Compass


True Compass by Edward Kennedy

This is a MUST-READ for anyone with even a passing interest in politics. Although it's obvious that Kennedy has experienced much in his record-setting congressional career, reading this still had me shaking my head several times in awe about how he has been a part of so much of our country's recent history. Although I was looking for more insight into his personal life (namely, his first marriage which he doesn't even touch besides to say that they didn't know one another well enough when they jumped in), this is really a book about Washington and universal health care. I'm not sure how anyone could read this and not want to champion universal health care themselves. His memories of his parents and siblings are tender and I was left crying at the end of the book. I can't recall crying after reading a book for a very long time. That's the mark of a winner!

No comments: