Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Beautiful, heartbreaking, soaring, intense--these are the words that come to mind when I think of the triumph that is The Time Traveler's Wife. I wish I'd read the book before the movie, but the premise never really appealed to me--in theory. So, I went and saw the movie and HATED it--it was literally one of the Top 10 Worst Movies I've Seen In a Theatre. However, I wanted to believe all my friends who claimed the story was unbeatable and that I would truly love it. So, I picked up the book.

The pieces that made no sense in the book--the time traveling jumping that really made no sense, even if time travel was possible--seem irrelevant in the movie. The story flows and we're able to see a real love between Claire and Henry. (In the movie, I just kept wondering why on earth she was waiting around on such a boring, unreliable man.) The tragedy of the story pained me, and drew me in like a true love story should. It's one of those rare books that looks at what love can be--what love should be. And it's a love I was sad to stop being a part of when it was all over.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I loved this book! Thanks for the review on the movie...I will just reread the book!