Sunday, November 29, 2009

Her Fearful Symmetry


Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

This was easily one of the strangest books I've ever read and that probably makes it worthy of a prize in itself. I'm intrigued by ghosts and the supernatural and I found Niffenegger's description of the supernatural quite interesting. What didn't work for me was the relationship between the young twins and that might be a reason why twins would relate best to this book. It was too hard for me to relate to them when they slept together holding hands and refused to pursue careers that were different in any way. Martin's character, struggling with OCD, was written quite well, but I didn't much see a reason for him being a part of the story. There were a lot of really great ideas in this novel, but it almost seems as though Niffennegger tried to throw in four great novels into one and it doesn't quite work.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have been waiting to read what you thought about this book. I liked but agreed with some of what you thought as well. Not sure about the end...

IrishLibrarian said...

It was so strange! Like, I just couldn't relate to the twin relationship, I guess. I think Martin was the best developed character, but his story didn't relate too much to the plot!

Rebecca said...

I liked Martin a lot! I would say that I couldn't relate to the twins although not sure about some of their relationship...I guess I just don't have the guts to die. Why did He leave her in the end?