Friday, July 10, 2009

A Brain Wider Than the Sky: A Migraine Diary by Andrew Levy



Andrew Levy was my American Lit and Creating Writing Non-Fiction professor at Butler. He was one of the very best teachers I have ever had and he inspired me to write. I was thrilled to pick up his latest book--a memoir about his years of suffering from migraine headaches. There's just something about his writing--the way he can describe the ordinary in such a beautiful way--that makes me want to be a better writer myself. His writing reads as though it's effortless and this particular book loads a multitude of research on migraines. As an English professor, Levy doesn't leave out examples of literary figures who have written about migraines--Virginia Woolf and Emily Dickinson just to name two. With a 20 page bibliography and 45 pages of notes, his research is quite impressive--but it still can't compete with the grace and skill of his writing.

No comments: