Sunday, June 8, 2008

When You Are Englufed in Flames


Review #1
When You are Engulfed in Glames by David Sedaris, 2008

This is one book that does not meet the requirement for my "challenge" in the Summer Reading Program because I have certainly read Sedaris before. I recommend Sedaris to anyone--regardless of their literary tastes. He is funny and a good writer. A truly rare combination. That being said, his latest book of essays doesn't disappoint. Somehow he was able to cover new topics while giving us a further glimpse into his present and past life. I especially enjoyed the stories about his experiences with rowmates on airplanes, cabdrivers who ask far-too-personal questions and reveal way-too-much about themselves, and his difficulty in social settings and how he comes prepared to make small talk. I wasn't really grabbed by the long essay on his quest to quit smoking, but luckily the book had enough other gems that I'd still give it 5/5 stars. Not necessarily his best work, but some of the stories will belong in a "Best of David Sedaris" book one day.

No comments: