Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (audiobook)


**I've recently started listening to audiobooks because of a new semi-long work commute; therefore, I'll be reviewing those in addition to the print versions.**

I've been told The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao is a must-read for the past two years, but have only just now gotten around to reading it... well, actually listening to it. I'm a big word person and I'm quite visual so audiobooks aren't as exciting for me and what struck me most was the talent of the reader, Jonathan Davis. The story was indeed tremendous with young, nerdy Oscar and his somewhat sad search for love and his dream of being the next J.R.R. Tolien. His sister, Lola, Lola's sometimes boyfriend and Oscar's best friend, Junior (also the very likable narrator), their mother and many other members of their Dominican family have interesting stories. The language, written in the vernacular is vulgar and offensive at times, but it may have been more pronounced in the audiobook. Ultimately I enjoyed the story--as tragic as it was.

No comments: