Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Love is the Higher Law


Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan

I'm mixed about this book. I think it did a good job of showing the emotions September 11th evoked in so many people and I think most people are ready to see this. I also think the writing was well done and the characters were developed in a short novel. However, being that the book was from the perspectives of three teenagers (albeit one in college and two seniors in high school), I thought the narrative was far too advanced for a YA audience. It had a Dawson's Creek flavor to it with the big words and existential philosophy that I just don't think is a part of 18-year-old's lives. And I couldn't get over thinking that there was no way those thoughts were really going through their minds. It's clear Levithan used this novel to come to grips with his own emotions about that sad day and I don't fault him for that. But in that way, this is more a novel for adults than teenagers.

No comments: